Celebrity World Archives

Harvey Weinstein Expected To Turn Himself In On Sex Assault Charges

Harvey Weinstein plans to turn himself in to New York City law enforcement on Friday morning. The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office has been conducting a criminal probe into accusations against the disgraced former Hollywood producer. Dozens of women began coming forward late last year with stories about the alleged sexual abuse and harassment they sustained at his hands. After exposes were published in The New York Times and The New Yorker, New York Times and New Yorker reporters Jodi Kantor, Megan Twohey and Ronan Farrow received the Pulitzer Prize for public service earlier this year for their effort to expose a culture of abuse in Hollywood. Their work is also credited with inspiring the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements against sexual misconduct. Weinstein had been reportedly spending much of his time at a rehabilitation facility in Scottsdale, Arizona.  

Morgan Freeman Accused Of Sexual Harassment And Inappropriate Conduct By 8 Women

On Thursday, CNN published an investigation into a number of allegations of sexual harassment and “inappropriate behavior” against Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman. The 80-year-old actor has had a long career that includes films like Driving Miss Daisy, The Shawshank Redemption, Million Dollar Baby, and the Dark Knight trilogy, and is also the co-founder of Revelations Entertainment, a production company that the report alleges fostered a “toxic work environment” for female staffers. According to CNN, neither Freeman nor his spokesperson has yet responded to multiple requests for comment. The report presents a long and detailed account of a pattern of alleged harassment and inappropriate behavior by Freeman. You can read the full report at: CNN.com.

Idris Elba To Direct And Star In ‘The Hunchback Of Notre Dame’ Musical For Netflix

Idris Elba will star, direct and produce a modern retelling of The Hunchback of Notre Dame for the streaming service Netflix, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Based on a script by Michael Mitnick, the film is being described as “sonic and musical experience” and will feature an original score. Victor Hugo’s classic French novel has seen many screen adaptations, including Disney’s 1996 animated film.  Elba has worked with Netflix before, earning critical acclaim and a Golden Globe nomination for his role in “Beasts of No Nation.” He’s also set to star and executive produce the upcoming comedy “Turn Up Charlie” about a struggling DJ.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus To Receive Mark Twain Prize For American Humor At The Kennedy Center

“Veep” star Julia Louis-Dreyfus is set to receive the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor at the Kennedy Center this fall. Louis-Dreyfus is the 2018 recipient of the prestigious award. Last year, David Letterman received the award, and comedy luminaries such as Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Tina Fey have won the award in past years. Louis-Dreyfus wrote on Twitter that the honor is “insanely exciting.” The President of the Kennedy Center, Deborah F. Rutter, said in a statement, “Like Mark Twain, Julia has enriched American culture with her iconic, unforgettable, and outright hilarious brand of humor. Over four decades, her wildly original characters and her gift for physical comedy have left us in stitches.”

Celebrity Chef Mario Batali Under Police Investigation For Sexual Misconduct

The New York Police Department is investigating allegations of sexual misconduct leveled against celebrity chef Mario Batali, confirming a 60 Minutes television report that aired this weekend. Batali “vehemently” denied the new allegations in a statement to CBS, which airs the program. An NYPD public information officer said in an email on Monday the department was investigating the allegations, however they did not respond to a question about whether the 2005 incident was too old to face prosecution. Batali, who owns numerous restaurants, is accused of drugging and sexually assaulting an employee at one of his restaurants in 2005 in the new criminal investigation, according to the report. Batali was fired in December 2017 by ABC as co-host of The Chew, a daytime food and talk show, and also stepped away from his restaurant company after the accusations by the four women first surfaced.